In May, Baxter’s annual lectureship had as its theme, “DIACONIA (Greek for Ministry): Successful Ministry within the Humble Spirit of Christ.” Keynote lectures were given by former missionaries Dr. Dan Coker and Dr. Philip Slate, Baxter’s Dean, Selvin Monterroso, and Baxter graduate, Leopoldo Villacorta. The five breakout sessions to choose from were:
- Preaching by Chris Frye, an ex-missionary to Paraguay and now with Great Cities.
- Personal Evangelism by Salmaron, Baxter graduate residing in Guatemala.
- Song-leading by Marvin Tercero, Baxter graduate residing in Guatemala.
- Pastoral Counseling by Lupe Mayo, Baxter’s counselor and teacher.
- Let’s Start Talking by Mark Woodward, of LST in Dallas, Texas.
Elders Cesar Velasquez (Guanacaste congregation) and Armando Pacheco (La Vega congregation), along with Phil Slate, Dan Coker, and Stephen Teel (Baxter’s President) participated in the question and answer session. Grand crowds of 250+ individuals gathered round for Baxter Seminar, such that we moved the sessions from chapel to the amphitheater. For the closing area-wide worship, Villacorta preached a wonderful lesson on the humble service to some 700 attendees. It goes without say to keep Paul’s last words in mind, “I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ” Acts 20:35.